Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Hi All

I have a desktop Mac Pro (6BGB) and when I few my Flash movies on my desktop, the dissolves are smooth.

When I view the Flash movies on my new laptop (15.4 non-unibody 2GB RAM), the dissolves are sometimes not very even or smooth, like there is flickering. Is there a reason?

I eliminated wireless vs wired connections... still happens even if played off the hard drive.

Is it due to different in RAM? Video Card?

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Good detective work eliminating the network connection as probable cause, you have isolated it to your computer. There are likely only two possibilities remaining considering you have plenty of RAM: Upgrade the Flash/shockwave plugin if you're not running the latest, or a compatibility issue with your video card.

On a side issue, Flash developers that write graphic intensive apps have to set sensible frame rates to reduce screen flicker. The same is true, actually, for developers who code to conform to section 508 accessibility. In Flash/ActionScript development this means use the updateAfterEvent to force Flash to redraw the screen independent of the movie's frame rate. This eliminates the flicker associated with graphics moving around the screen faster than Flash can update the display.

But that is not to say the developer is at fault, as usually screen flicker is apparent across all platforms if coded incorrectly. I'm just mentioning it in case you find out you've got the latest/greatest video card, no issues with your hardware and no other Flash presentations flicker except that one. THEN you can consider it's the Flash and not your laptop.

-jim

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Thanks, Jim. I'm going to apply a Flash update (although I suspect it is the latest) and check out some other flash sites on the web. I do see the slight flicker on both my flash website and slideshows I'm made -- both created with different flash programs.

I have also seen this effect on my wife's Sony laptop and shrugged it off at the time.

I may even swing by the local Apple store later today, as it is close by and I could test on a laptop there or two. I'll keep people posted if interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.